Skip to Main Content
Evaluation of semiochemicals potentially synergistic to a-pinene for trapping the larger European pine shoot beetle, Tomicus piniperda, (Col., Scolytidae)Author(s): T.M. Poland; P. de Groot; R.A. Haack; D. Czokajlo
Source: Journal of Applied Entolomology. 128(9/10): 639-644.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (116.76 KB)
DescriptionThe pine shoot beetle, Tomicus piniperda (L.) (Col., Scolytidae) is an exotic pest of pine, Pinus, spp., in North America. It is attracted strongly to host volatiles (±)-a-pinene, (+)-3-carene, and a-terpinolene. Attraction to insectproduced compounds is less clear. Other potential attractants include trans-verbenol, myrtenol, myrtenal, nonanal and a-pinene oxide. We conducted a series of field experiments to determine if any of these compounds would increase attraction of T. piniperda to a-pinene, either individually or in various combinations. None of the individual compounds increased attraction. Although several combinations that included trans-verbenol, nonanal, myrtenol, or myrtenal increased attraction, results were variable between experiments.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPoland, T.M.; de Groot, P.; Haack, R.A.; Czokajlo, D. 2004. Evaluation of semiochemicals potentially synergistic to a-pinene for trapping the larger European pine shoot beetle, Tomicus piniperda, (Col., Scolytidae). Journal of Applied Entolomology. 128(9/10): 639-644.
KeywordsTomicus piniperda, attraction, a-pinene, myrtenol, myrtenal, nonanal, trans-verbenol
- New lure for the larger pine shoot beetle, Tomicus piniperda - attractant/trap design combinations tested in North America and Europe
- Development of an improved attractive lure for the pine shoot beetle, Tomicus piniperda (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)
- Pine shoot beetle, Tomicus piniperda (Col., Scolytidae), responses to commn green leaf volatiles
XML: View XML