Skip to Main Content
An Integer Optimization Approch To A Probabilistic Reserve Site Selection ProblemAuthor(s): Robert G. Haight; Charles S. Revelle; Stephanie A. Snyder
Source: INFORMS. Vol. 48 no. 5.:p. 697-708. (2000)
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (2.28 MB)
DescriptionHuman economic and agricultural activities contribute to the endangerment of over 900 species that are currently listed or proposed for listing under the federal Endangered Species Act in the United States (Dobson et al. 1997). One approach to conserving the elements of biological diversity--including plants, animals, and ecological communities--is to establish and enhance biological reserves in which economic development is curtailed (Ando et al. 1998). For example, between 1927 and 1998, the U.S. Forest Service established 427 research natural areas (RNAs)coveting over 500,000 acres of land in national forests of the United States. These biological reserves are permanently protected and maintained in their natural condition for the purposes of conserving species and ecosystems, conducting nonmanipulative research and monitoring, and fostering education. Examples of land-use planning for the protection of biodiversity abound, including cases in Australia, South Africa, and Norway (Pressey et al. 1997). The establishment and enhancement of biological reserves is viewed as the cornerstone of biodiversity conservation throughout the world (Noss and Cooperrider 1994, Pimm and Lawton 1998).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHaight, Robert G.; Revelle, Charles S.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2000. An Integer Optimization Approch To A Probabilistic Reserve Site Selection Problem. INFORMS. Vol. 48 no. 5.:p. 697-708. (2000)
Keywordshuman economic, biological diversity, ecological communities, Endangered Species Act
- Biodiversity conservation, sustainable development, and the U.S. Man and the Biosphere Program: Past contributions and future directions
- Quantifying loss and degradation of former American marten habitat due to the impacts of forestry operations and associated road networks in northern Idaho, USA [Chapter 12]
- Challenges and a checklist for biodiversity conservation in fire-prone forests: perspecitves from the Pacific Northwest of USA and Southeastern Australia
XML: View XML