Skip to Main Content
The CornerAuthor(s): David Giblin; Daniel C Dey; Dick Burhans; John Kabrick; Brian Root; Jennifer Grabner; Mike Gold
Source: The Glade. Vol. 4 no. 1: 1-2.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (232.03 KB)
DescriptionThis past March the membership was asked for the first time ever to vote on an advocacy issue instance the issue was a petition initiated by the California Native Plant Society supporting the equal protection of plants under the Federal Endangered Species Act. A total of 34 votes were cast, with an overwhelming majority of the votes in favor of MOSCB becoming a signatory to the petition. Thirty-four votes is roughly 15% of the membership, so it is unclear as to whether our beaming a signatory to the petition truly reflects the view held by the majority of the membership. Moreover, there was no discussion or debate of this matter over the list-serve. One possible explanation for these two events is the lack of anonymity with respect to expressing one's views or one's vote. Whether or not this contributed to the light turn-out is unclear, but it is a concern that the Board will be considering in the near future. Any comments or suggestions as to how to improve the process would be greatly appreciated. Please send them to the chapter email address at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGiblin, David; Dey, Daniel C; Burhans, Dick; Kabrick, John; Root, Brian; Grabner, Jennifer; Gold, Mike. 2001. The Corner. The Glade. Vol. 4 no. 1.:p. 1-2. (2001)
KeywordsFederal Endangered Species Act, California Native Plant Society, MOSCB, General Land Office, Oaks
- Youth day in Los Angeles: Evaluating the role of technology in children's nature activities
- Membership in conservation groups and outdoor clubs
- Using contingent valuation to value a noxious weeds control program: the effects of including an unsure response category
XML: View XML