Skip to Main Content
Growth, Producion, and Consumption of Forest Resources in the Upper Great Lakes Region of the United StatesAuthor(s): Stephen R. Shifley; Neal Sullivan
Source: Advanced Summaries of Presentations. p. 3. (2001)
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (618.79 KB)
DescriptionThe Lake States (MN, WI, MI) have 47 million acres of forest--36 percent of the total land area. Nearly all of that acreage is capable of producing commercial crops of timber. The growing stock volume on those forests is 60 billion cubic feet. In addition to growing stock volume there are 7 billion cubic feet of volume on trees of noncommercial species, trees with poor form, and trees with excessive decay; some of these non-growing tock trees are also used for forest products. The annual volume growth on growing stock trees is about 1.6 billion cubic feet or 2.7% of inventory. Annual timber removals for forest products and other reasons such as land clearing are equivalent to about half of net growth (i.e., growth adjusted for mortality). Consequently, since the 1950's, the volume of timber in the Lake States has increased from 25 to 60 billion cubic feet of growing stock on timberland. This pattern is consistent with the remainder of the North Central Region (Lake States plus IN, IL, IA, MO).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShifley, Stephen R.; Sullivan, Neal. 2001. Growth, Producion, and Consumption of Forest Resources in the Upper Great Lakes Region of the United States. Advanced Summaries of Presentations. p. 3. (2001)
KeywordsNorth Central Region, Lake States, forest, annual timber
- Balancing Growth, Harvest, and Consumption of Hardwood Resources in the North Central Region
- The status of timber resources in the North Central United States
- Forest statistics for Georgia, 1982
XML: View XML