Skip to Main Content
The Public Debate about the Recreation Fee Demonstration Program on the U.S. Nation Forests1Author(s): David N. Bengston; David P. Fan
Source: SARR Conference Proceedings. p. 31-38. (2000)
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.59 MB)
DescriptionThe Recreation Fee Demonstration Program (RFDP) is a pilot program authorized by Congress in 1996. The RFDP allows the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, and the United States Department of the Interior Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Fish and Wildlife Service to experiment with new or increased fees at up to 100 recreation sites per agency. The RFDP has sparked a public debate about the merits and demerits of charging fees for recreation on public lands. This study analyzed the debate about the RFDP on national forests that is expressed in a large electronic database of news media stories. Analysis of the news media is a way to quickly and efficiently take the pulse of the public on a variety of social issues. We used the patented InfoTrend method and software to code the text for frequency of expression of beliefs supporting favorable and unfavorable attitudes toward the RFDP.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBegston, David N.; Fan, David P. 2000. The Public Debate about the Recreation Fee Demonstration Program on the U.S. Nation Forests1. SARR Conference Proceedings. p. 31-38. (2000)
KeywordsRecreation Fee Demonstration Program, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Land Management
- Longitudinal Monitoring of Public Reactions to the U.S
- Roads On The U.S. nation Forests: An Analysis of Public Attitudes, Beliefs, and Values Expressed in the News Media
- An Innovative Method for Evaluating Strategic Goals in a Public Agency: Conservation Leadership in the U.S. Forest Service
XML: View XML