Skip to Main Content
A methodological comparison of customer service analysis techniquesAuthor(s): James Absher; Alan Graefe; Robert Burns
Source: In: Schuster, Rudy, comp., ed. Proceedings of the 2002 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-302. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 41-45
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (333.24 KB)
DescriptionTechniques used to analyze customer service data need to be studied. Two primary analysis protocols, importance-performance analysis (IP) and gap score analysis (GA), are compared in a side-by-side comparison using data from two major customer service research projects. A central concern is what, if any, conclusion might be different due solely to the analysis technique employed. Although the results of the methodological comparisons rely on generally similar patterns in the data, strong differences in managerial decision recommendations are shown. This directs researchers' and managers' attention to the form of analysis as much as the data gathering instruments themselves. Such a methodological comparison also allows for a deeper understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the two techniques, and leads to a discussion of the methodological issues underlying customer service analysis.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAbsher, James; Graefe, Alan; Burns, Robert. 2003. A methodological comparison of customer service analysis techniques. In: Schuster, Rudy, comp., ed. Proceedings of the 2002 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-302. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 41-45
- Measuring and improving customer satisfaction with government services
- Forest Health Monitoring: national status, trends, and analysis 2010
- A field critique of the 3-year pilot test for the CUSTOMER recreation visitor survey
XML: View XML