Skip to Main Content
Conflict over natural resource management a social indicator based on analysis of online news media textAuthor(s): David N. Bengston; David P. Fan
Source: Society and Natural Resources. Vol. 12. P. 493-500. (1999)
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (137.74 KB)
DescriptionAn indicator of the level of conflict over natural resource management was developed and applied to the case of U.S. national forest policy and management. Computer-coded content analysis was used to identify expressions of conflict in a national database of almost 10,000 news media stories about the U.S. Forest Service. Changes in the amount of news media discussion involving conflict were tracked over the 5-year period from 1992 through 1996. The relative level of conflict over national forest policy and management measured by this indicator was found to correspond with major conflict-related events during this time period, This social indicator could be used to evaluate policies intended ro reduce conflict, monitor contentious issues, and identify emerging areas of conflict.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBengston, David N.; Fan, David P. 1999. Conflict over natural resource management a social indicator based on analysis of online news media text. Society and Natural Resources. Vol. 12. P. 493-500. (1999)
Keywordscomputer-coded, conflict, content analysis, national forest, natural forest, natural resource management, news media, social indicator, USDA Forest Service
- Attitudes toward roads on the National Forests: An analysis of the News Media.
- Exploring the national benefits of Alaska's tongass national forest
- A new approach to monitoring the social environment for natural resource management and policy: The case of US national forest benefits and values
XML: View XML