Skip to Main Content
Home range use by swamp rabbits (Sylvilagus aquaticus) in a frequently inundated bottomland forestAuthor(s): Patrick A. Zollner; Winston P. Smith; Leonard A. Brennan
Source: The american Midland Naturalist. 143(1): 64-69. (2000)
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (367.1 KB)
DescriptionHome range size of six swamp rabbits in south-central Arkansas was estilnated by radio-telemetry from February 1991 through March 1992. The average home range size was significantly larger than previously reported estimates. This difference is partly attributable to the large number of observations per rabbit in our study, but may also be explained by our inclusion of numerous locations of swamp rabbits during periods of deep inundation. All of the individual rabbits tracked used different areas when the study site was flooded. These results provide the first quantitative description of the response of swamp rabbits to flooding.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZollner, Patrick A.; Smith, Winston P.; Brennan, Leonard A. 2000. Home range use by swamp rabbits (Sylvilagus aquaticus) in a frequently inundated bottomland forest. The american Midland Naturalist. 143(1): 64-69. (2000)
Keywordsswamp rabbits, bottomland forest, home range
- Seasonal Habitat Distribution Of Swamp Rabbits, White-Tailed Deer, and Small Mammals in Old Growth and Managed Bottomland Hardwood Forests
- Microhabitat Characteristics of sites used by swamp rabbits
- Effects of GPS sampling intensity on home range analyses
XML: View XML