Skip to Main Content
Attitudes toward New England fishers: a study of tourists to the New Hampshire seacoastAuthor(s): Jennifer L. Hafner; Robert A. Robertson; Erika Carlsen
Source: In: Schuster, Rudy, comp., ed. Proceedings of the 2002 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-302. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 147-150
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (341.91 KB)
DescriptionA study of tourists to the New Hampshire Seacoast was conducted during the Summer 1998 and 1999 tourist seasons. A mail survey collected data on how seacoast visitors viewed potential management initiatives for coastal resources, the types of activities visitors have participated in and activities they are interested in participating in the future and visitors' attitudes and opinions regarding marine fisheries, fishers, and fishing communities. Since the cultural and historical aspects of fishing communities is one of the attractions that bring visitors to the seacoast area and public attitudes toward fisheries are not well known, this paper reports on how visitors perceive fishers and fishing communities, how they view the current status of marine fisheries, and examines motivations to participate in tourist activities related to commercial fishing and fishers' heritage.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHafner, Jennifer L.; Robertson, Robert A.; Carlsen, Erika. 2003. Attitudes toward New England fishers: a study of tourists to the New Hampshire seacoast. In: Schuster, Rudy, comp., ed. Proceedings of the 2002 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-302. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 147-150
- Leatherback sea turtle stewardship to attain local, regional, and global marine conservation and management
- Projected participation in marine recreation: 2005 & 2010
- Visitor use patterns and satisfaction along the Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway, Oregon
XML: View XML