Skip to Main Content
Public attitudes toward forest management: a Shawnee National Forest exampleAuthor(s): Joanne Vining
Source: In: Schuster, Rudy, comp., ed. Proceedings of the 2002 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-302. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 173-177
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (377.32 KB)
DescriptionOne of the fundamental problems of modern public lands management is the accurate and representative assessment of public opinion. The purpose of this study was to examine differences in perceptions and attitudes of Shawnee National Forest management activities and plans among members of local and regional publics. A survey was administered to members of the public in counties adjacent to the Shawnee, in the remaining counties in Illinois, and in counties in three other states adjacent to southern Illinois. Results indicated that there were few differences in perceptions and attitudes among these three groups.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationVining, Joanne. 2003. Public attitudes toward forest management: a Shawnee National Forest example. In: Schuster, Rudy, comp., ed. Proceedings of the 2002 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-302. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 173-177
- User group attitudes toward forest management treatments on the Shawnee National Forest: application of a photo-evaluation technique
- Pre- and post-clearcut tree species distribution in two physiographic regions of the Shawnee National Forest, Illinois
- How forest context influences the acceptability of prescribed burning and mechanical thinning
XML: View XML