Skip to Main Content
Scale considerations for ecosystem managementAuthor(s): Jonathan B. Haufler; Thomas R. Crow; David Wilcove
Source: Ecological Stewardship: a comon reference for ecosystem management. Vol. 2 p. 331-342. (1999)
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.23 MB)
DescriptionOne of the difficult challenges facing ecosystem management is the determination of appropriate spatial and temporal scales to use. Scale in spatial sence includes considerations of both the size area or extent of an ecosystem management activity, as well as thedegree of resolution of mapped or measured data. In the temporal sense, scale concerns the duration of both natural and human induced disturbances, duration and time intervals of successional trajectories, the appropriate planning horizon of future ativities and the length of any historical perpective.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHaufler, Jonathan B.; Crow, Thomas R.; Wilcove, David. 1999. Scale considerations for ecosystem management. Ecological Stewardship: a comon reference for ecosystem management. Vol. 2 p. 331-342. (1999)
Keywordslandscape planning, spatial scale, temporal scale, mapping
- Understanding and Managing the Assessment Process
- Managing landscapes at multiple scales for sustainability of ecosystem functions (Preface)
- A review and assessment of land-use change models: dynamics of space, time, and human choice
XML: View XML