Skip to Main Content
A review of the regeneration dynamics of North American boreal forest tree speciesAuthor(s): D. F. Greene; John C. Zasada; L. Sirois; D. Kneeshaw; H. Morin; I. Charron; M. J. Simard
Source: Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 29(6): 824-839. (1999)
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.53 MB)
DescriptionIn this review, we focus on the biotic parameters that are crucial to an understanding of the recruitment dynamics of North American boreal tree species following natural (fire, budworm infestation, windthrow) or human-induced (clearcut, partial cut) disturbances. The parameters we emphasize are (i) the production of seeds and asexual stems (both of which, we argue, are a function of basal area density), (ii) the dispersal of seeds by wind (or the dispersion of asexual stems) as a function of distance from source, (iii) dormant seed bank capacity, (iv) organic layer depth as a determinant of germinant mortality and asexual bud response, and (v) shade tolerance as a partial arbiter of the density of advanced regeneration. Having identified the gaps in our knowledge, we conclude by suggesting a short-term research agenda whose completion would lead to the parameterized functions that would constitute the recruitment subroutine in a landscape-scale forest dynamics simulator.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGreene, D. F.; Zasada, John C.; Sirois, L.; Kneeshaw, D.; Morin, H.; Charron, I.; Simard, M. J. 1999. A review of the regeneration dynamics of North American boreal forest tree species. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 29(6): 824-839. (1999)
Keywordsregeneration, North America, tree species, boreal forest
- Compound disease and wildfire disturbances alter opportunities for seedling regeneration in resprouter‐dominated forests
- Reproduction and dispersal of biological soil crust organisms
- Combined effects of climate and land management on watershed vegetation dynamics in an arid environment
XML: View XML