Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Perspectives : anecdotal, historical and critical commentaries on geneticsAuthor(s): Bryan K. Epperson
Source: Genetics. 152: p. 477-484 (June 1999)
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (916.68 KB)
DescriptionThe purpose of this article is to give a personal perspective of the person of Gustave Malecot and a conceptual account of his contributions to the field of population genetics. Some essential biographical information is given, but more important are some insights he himself gave into his early career. I was privileged to have him share these insights with me over the past 5 years. There are also some mathematical formulations necessary to put his work into its conceptual as well as historical context. The structure is mostly chronological. At times this account borrows heavily from an important Perspectives article written by NAGYLAKI (1989), who presented many details of Malecot's mathematics, especially the diffusion approximation approaches and other key conceptual issues. Other important accounts of Malecot's work and life include a recent interview with BOCQUET-APPEL (1996) and a series of articles by GILLOIS (1996a,b,c, and unpublished manuscript).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEpperson, Bryan K. 1999. Perspectives : anecdotal, historical and critical commentaries on genetics. Genetics. 152: p. 477-484 (June 1999)
KeywordsGustave Malecot, population genetics, mathematical formulations, perspectives
- Former Hawaii Restoration Ecologist Now Favors 'Tinkering' Over Rigor. Review of Cabin, Robert J. 2011. Intelligent tinkering: bridging the gap between science and practice.
- Listening to Neglected Voices - American Indian Perspectives on Natural Resource Management
- Personal wilderness relationships: Building on a transactional approach
XML: View XML