Skip to Main Content
Gene action and linkage of avirulence genes to DNA makers in the rust fungus Puccinia graminisAuthor(s): P. J. Zambino; A. R. Kubelik; L. J. Szabo
Source: Phytopathology. 90(8): 819-826. (2000)
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (799.35 KB)
DescriptionTwo strains of the wheat stem rust fungus, Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici, were crossed on barberry, and a single F1 progeny strain was seifed. The parents, F1 and 81 F2 progeny were examined for virulence phenotypes on wheat differential cultivars carrying stem rust resistance (Sr) genes. For eight Sr differentials phenotypic ratios are suggestive of single dominate avirulence genes AvrT8a, AveT9a, AvrT10, AvrT21, AvrT28, AvrT30, and AvrTU. Avirulence on the Sr. (Sr 'fleck') differential showed phenotypic ratios of approximately 15:1, indicating epistatic interaction of two genes dominant for avirulence. Avirulence on Sr9d favored a 3:13 over a 1:3 ratio, possibly indicating two segregating geues-one dominant for avirulence and one dominant for avirulence inhibition. Linkage analysis of eight single dominant avirulence genes and 970 DNA markers indentified DNA markers linked to each of these avirulence genes. The closest linkage between AvrT genes and DNA markers were between AvrT6 and the random amplified polymorphic DNA marker cr134-155 (6 centimorgans [cM]) AvrT8a and the amplified fragment lenght polymorphism marker cAC/mCT-197 (6 cM) and between AvrT9a and the amlified fragment lenght polymorphism marker cAC/mCT-184 (6 cM). AvrT10 and AvrTU are linked at distance of 9 cM.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZambino, P. J.; Kubelik, A. R.; Szabo, L. J. 2000. Gene action and linkage of avirulence genes to DNA makers in the rust fungus Puccinia graminis. Phytopathology. 90(8): 819-826. (2000)
KeywordsAFLP, avirulence gene nomenclsture, molecular map, RAPD, Triticum aestivum, T. durum
- Identification of novel QTL for sawfly resistance in wheat
- Behavioural responses of wheat stem sawflies to wheat volatiles
- Fuel Pellets from Wheat Straw: The Effect of Lignin Glass Transition and Surface Waxes on Pelletizing Properties
XML: View XML