Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Enhanced toxicity of Bacillus thuringiensis Cry3A 8-endotoxin in coleopterans by mutagenesis in recetor binding loopAuthor(s): Sheng-Jiun Wu; Noah C. Koller; Deborah L. Miller; Leah S. Bauer; Donald H. Dean
Source: Federationof European Biochemical Societies (FEBS Letters). 473: 227-232.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (536.04 KB)
DescriptionWe used site-directed mutagenesis to modify the Bacillus cry3A gene in amino acid residues 350-354. Two mutant toxins, A1 (R345A, Y350F, Y351F) and A2 (R345A,DeltaY350, DeltaY351, showed significantly improved toxicity against Tenebrio molitor (yellow mealworm). The mutant toxin A1 was also more potent against both Leptinotarsa decemlineats (Colorado potato beetle) and Chrysomela scripta (cottonwood leaf beetle), while A2 displayed enhanced toxicity only in L. decemlineata. Competitive binding assays of L. decemlineata brush border membrane vesicles (BBMV) revealed that binding affinities for the A1 and A2 mutant toxins were ca. 2.5-fold higher than for the wild-type Cry3 toxin. Similar binding assays with C. scripta BBMV revealed a ca 5-fold lower dissociation rate for the A1 mutant as compared to that of Cry3A.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWu, Sheng-Jiun; Koller, Noah C.; Miller, Deborah L.; Bauer, Leah S.; Dean, Donald H. 2000. Enhanced toxicity of Bacikkus thuringiensis Cry3A 8-endotoxin in coleopterans by mutagenesis in recetor binding loop. Federationof European Biochemical Societies (FEBS Letters). 473 : p. 227-232. (2000)
KeywordsBacillus thuringiensis, Cry toxin, 8-Endotoxin, Coleopteran
- Optimization of Cry3A yields in Bacillus thuringiensis by use of sporulation-dependent promoters in combination with the STAB-SD mRNA sequence
- Cyt1Aa protein of Bacillus thuringiensis is toxic to the Cottonwood Leaf Beetle, Chrysomela scripta, and suppresses high levels of resistance to Cry3Aa
- Localization of Bacillus thuringiensis Cry1A toxin-binding molecules in gypsy moth larval gut sections using fluorescence microscopy
XML: View XML