Skip to Main Content
Roles for agroforestry in hardwood regeneration and natural-stand managementAuthor(s): H. E. 'Gene' Garrett
Source: General Technical Report NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (73.66 KB)
DescriptionA convincing case can be made that current land-use patterns in the Central Hardwood region reflect a significant underutilization of our land-based resources. A land-use strategy is required that would allow landowners who are interested in converting marginal crop lands to forests, or unproductive woodlots to productive woodlots, to make the change without financial loss. Agroforestry has the potential to precisely do this. Agroforestry, an integrated land-use management approach for both production and conservation benefits has gained remarkable acceptance since the early 1990s. It provides the landowner the opportunity to develop a portfolio of short- and long-term investments and serves as a viable alternative to conventional forestry and agricultural practices.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGarrett, H. E. ''Gene'' 2003. Roles for agroforestry in hardwood regeneration and natural-stand management. General Technical Report NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station
Keywordshardwood, agroforestry, regeneration
- Roles for agroforestry in hardwood regeneration and natural-stand management
- 2008 Farm Bill Agroforestry
- Longleaf pine agroforestry
XML: View XML