Skip to Main Content
US forest carbon calculation tool: forest-land carbon stocks and net annual stock changeAuthor(s): James E. Smith; Linda S. Heath; Michael C. Nichols
Source: Revised. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-13. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 34 p. [DVD-ROM].
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (332.23 KB)
DescriptionThe Carbon Calculation Tool 4.0, CCTv40.exe, is a computer application that reads publicly available forest inventory data collected by the U.S. Forest Service's Forest Inventory and Analysis Program (FIA) and generates state-level annualized estimates of carbon stocks on forest land based on FORCARB2 estimators. Estimates can be recalculated as new inventory data become available. The input set of FIA data files available on the Internet (as well as some older inventory files used to fill in gaps) are summarized by the application, converted to carbon stocks, and saved as part of a state or substate level "survey summary" file. This is used to produce state-level and national tables with annualized carbon stocks and flux (or net stock change) beginning with the year 1990. This user's guide includes instructions for use, example data sets, and a discussion of methods and assumptions.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSmith, James E.; Heath, Linda S.; Nichols, Michael C. 2007. US forest carbon calculation tool: forest-land carbon stocks and net annual stock change. Revised. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-13. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 34 p. [DVD-ROM].
Keywordsgreenhouse gas inventory, carbon sequestration, forest inventory, FIA
- 4.0 Measuring and monitoring forest carbon stocks and fluxes
- FORCARB2: An updated version of the U.S. Forest Carbon Budget Model
- Consequences of alternative tree-level biomass estimation procedures on U.S. forest carbon stock estimates
XML: View XML