Skip to Main Content
USDA Forest Service farm woodlands case study - 50 year results from West VirginaAuthor(s): David W. McGill; Thomas M. Schuler
Source: General Technical Report NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (229.46 KB)
DescriptionRecognizing that fire, grazing, and poor cutting practices had compromised much productivity in farm woodlots in the early 1900s, USDA Forest Service personnel established a demonstration on the Fernow Experimental Forest (FEF) to show the feasibility of two harvesting systems that could be used to maintain or enhance stand productivity and provide private forest land owners with biennial revenue. Beginning in 1950, treatments were applied to create single-tree selection and 4 percent diameter limit cutting in two compartments. In this paper we document a shift in species composition, relatively equal volumes in removals, and generally increasing growing stock levels over the course of the intervening 50 years.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcGill, David W.; Schuler, Thomas M. 2003. USDA Forest Service farm woodlands case study - 50 year results from West Virgina. General Technical Report NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station
KeywordsForest Service, farm, single-tree selection
- USDA Forest Service farm woodlands case study - 50 year results from West Virginia
- Thinning Guidelines For Southern Bottomland Hardwood Forests
- Natural seedlings and sprouts after regeneration cuttings in old-growth redwood
XML: View XML