Skip to Main Content
Exploring the national benefits of Alaska's tongass national forestAuthor(s): Steward D. Allen; David N. Bengston; David P. Fan
Source: In: Bengston, David N., ed. Applications of computer-aided text analysis in natural resources. General Technical Report. NC-211. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 19-25
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.43 MB)
DescriptionA large sample of national news media stories about the Tongass National Forest--covering January 1, 1985, through July 31, 1997--was analyzed using the InfoTrend software and method. The main purpose of the analysis was to explore the national-level benefits and values reflected in news accounts about the Tongass. Results indicate that the nature of social debate about management of the Tongass was consistent over the 12-year period, focusing mainly on the clash between commodity-related benefits (timber harvest) and ecosystem benefits and values. Media discussion of recreation and moral/spirituat/aesthetic benefits and values lagged behind.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAllen, Steward D.; Bengston, David N.; Fan, David P. 2000. Exploring the national benefits of Alaska''s tongass national forest. In: Bengston, David N., ed. Applications of computer-aided text analysis in natural resources. General Technical Report. NC-211. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 19-25
KeywordsAlaska, Tongass National Forest, management, media
- Monitoring the Social Environment for Forestry: The case of National Forest Benefits and Values
- A new approach to monitoring the social environment for natural resource management and policy: The case of US national forest benefits and values
- Attitudes toward roads on the National Forests: An analysis of the News Media.
XML: View XML