Skip to Main Content
Modeling Multiplicative Error Variance: An Example Predicting Tree Diameter from Stump Dimensions in BaldcypressAuthor(s): Bernard R. Parresol
Source: Forest Science, Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 670-679
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (224 KB)
DescriptionIn the context of forest modeling, it is often reasonable to assume a multiplicative heteroscedastic error structure to the data. Under such circumstances ordinary least squares no longer provides minimum variance estimates of the model parameters. Through study of the error structure, a suitable error variance model can be specified and its parameters estimated. This error model is used to construct a covariance matrix which in turn is used to form an estimated generalized least squares estimator of the forest model parameters. The theory is illustrated with data on baldcypress (Taxodium distichum [L.] Rich.). A multiple linear regression equation is developed for predicting diameter at 3 m from solid-wood stump diameter (i.e., diameter inside the fluting) and stump height. By modeling the error structure, standard errors on three of the four coefficients from the tree diameter-stump dimensions regression were reduced by 13 to 50%. The effect on prediction confidence intervals is graphically illustrated.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationParresol, Bernard R. 1993. Modeling Multiplicative Error Variance: An Example Predicting Tree Diameter from Stump Dimensions in Baldcypress. Forest Science, Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 670-679
KeywordsHeteroscedasticity, consistency, estimated generalized least squares, prediction confidence intervals.
- Prediction and error of baldcypress stem volume from stump diameter
- Long-term success of stump sprout regeneration in baldcypress
- Baldcypress Height-Diamter Equations and Their Prediction Confindence Intervals
XML: View XML