Skip to Main Content
Comment on "Ethnicity as a variable in leisure research" by Li et al.Author(s): Paul H. Gobster
Source: Journal of Leisure Research. 39(3): 546-553.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (484.97 KB)
DescriptionLi, Chick, Zinn, Absher, and Graefe present a provocative argument questioning the usefulness of ethnicity as a construct in leisure research. I think the paper makes some important points that should be added to the ongoing discussion about research on leisure and ethnicity. Yet I also found much to disagree with in the paper, and I suspect others who have done work in the field will as well. I particularly question the researchers' main measure of cultural values as appropriate to understanding racial and ethnic variations in outdoor leisure patterns and preferences, as well as the conclusions they draw from their findings. In this commentary I outline what I see as the strengths and weaknesses of their paper, and suggest some directions for future research on leisure and ethnicity.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGobster, Paul H. 2007. Comment on "Ethnicity as a variable in leisure research" by Li et al. Journal of Leisure Research. 39(3): 546-553.
- Ethnicity as a construct in leisure research: a rejoinder to Gobster
- Race, ethnicity, recreation, and leisure: An assessment of research gaps
- Invite, include, and involve: racial groups, ethnic groups, and leisure
XML: View XML