Skip to Main Content
How to estimate carbon sequestration on small forest tracts estimate carbon sequestration on small forest tractsAuthor(s): Coeli M. Hoover; Richard A. Birdsey; Linda S. Heath; Susan L. Stout
Source: Journal of Forestry. September: 13-19.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (297.38 KB)
DescriptionInternational climate change agreements may allow carbon stored as a result of afforestation and reforestation to be used to offset CO2 emissions. Monitoring the carbon sequestered or released through forest management activities thus becomes important. Estimating forest carbon storage is feasible even for nonindustrial private forestland (NIPF) owners, and the necessary tools are available.We developed a methodology for estimating forest carbon storage at the management unit scale and tested the impacts of hypothetical management scenarios on carbon sequestration over time. We demonstrate the procedure on two military installations in the southeastern United States and discuss some practical considerations.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHoover, Coeli M.; Birdsey, Richard A.; Heath, Linda S.; Stout, Susan L. 2000. How to estimate carbon sequestration on small forest tracts estimate carbon sequestration on small forest tracts. Journal of Forestry. September: 13-19.
- Carbon sequestration in forests as a national policy issue
- Hurricane impacts on US forest carbon sequestration
- Measurement guidelines for the sequestration of forest carbon
XML: View XML