Skip to Main Content
Basic growth relationships in thinned and unthinned longleaf pine plantationsAuthor(s): V. Clark Baldwin; Daniel J. Leduc; K. O. Peterson; Bernard R. Parresol
Source: Proceedings of the 2<SUPnd</sup> Longleaf Alliance Conference; 1998 November 17-19; Charleston, SC. Longleaf Alliande Report No. 4. Auburn University, AL; Longleaf Alliance: 49-51.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.8 MB)
DescriptionCompilation, editing, and formatting of seven long-term longleaf pine (Pinus palustris Mill.) growth and yield studies has "been completed"and development of a growth and yield prediction system for longleaf pine plantations is underway. The studies are located in Central Louisiana, East Texas, Southern Mississippi, Southern Alabama, and Northern Florida Silvicultural treatments include variius planting and post-thinning densities, pruning, and fertilization. Residual basal area thinning treatments ranging from 40 to 140 ft2/acre (including unthinned control treatments) were applied as early as age 17 and repeated periodically for as many as 8 thinnings. Planting densities ranged from 250 to 2500 trees/acre. Stand ages within the database range from 4 to 63 years. Various growth and yield variables are compared in tables and graphs for the thinning and planting density treatments and locations. The results represent some of the growth and yield trends that will be modeled in detail to develop a comprehensive prediction system for this important species of the southern United States.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBaldwin, V. Clark, Jr.; Leduc, Daniel J.; Peterson, K. O.; Parresol, Bernard R. 1998. Basic growth relationships in thinned and unthinned longleaf pine plantations. Proceedings of the 2
Longleaf Alliance Conference; 1998 November 17-19; Charleston, SC. Longleaf Alliande Report No. 4. Auburn University, AL; Longleaf Alliance: 49-51.
- An updated whole stand growth and yield system for planted longleaf pine in southwest Georgia
- Volume and Growth Predictions for Thinned Even-Aged Natural Longleaf Pine Stands in the East Gulf Area
- Predicting Stand and Stock Tables from a Spacing Study in Naturally Regenerated Longleaf Pine
XML: View XML