Skip to Main Content
The 1992 Vermont recreation survey and environmental index: Vermonters' perceptions of recreational and environmental issues in VermontAuthor(s): Kevin R. Wiberg; Frederick E. Schmidt; Robert E. Manning; Susan Bulmer
Source: In: Vander Stoep, Gail A., ed. Proceedings of the 1994 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 1994 April 10-12; Saratoga Springs, NY.: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-198. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 204-207
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (421.01 KB)
DescriptionIn 1992, Vermonters rated the state's recreational resources a "B-" with a corresponding grade of "B" for the quality of the state's environment. Scenic resources continued to be rated most highly as were state trails and commercial recreation establishments. Concern for water resource quality, solid and toxic waste disposal, acid rain, agricultural land loss, and increasing development was discovered. Recreation greenways and the accommodation of bicyclists in road development was supported as was the development of lighted trails for night skiing. Perceived positive effects of tourism were matched by concerns about impacts on traffic conditions, costs of land and housing, and crime in Vermont.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWiberg, Kevin R.; Schmidt, Frederick E.; Manning, Robert E.; Bulmer, Susan. 1995. The 1992 Vermont recreation survey and environmental index: Vermonters'' perceptions of recreational and environmental issues in Vermont. In: Vander Stoep, Gail A., ed. Proceedings of the 1994 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 1994 April 10-12; Saratoga Springs, NY.: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-198. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 204-207
- Managing recreation on mountain summits in the northern forest region of Maine, New Hampshire, New York, and Vermont
- Outdoor recreation opportunities and land use change in Vermont's Lake Champlain Basin
- Discourses of place: Environmental interpretation about Vermont forests
XML: View XML