Skip to Main Content
Do sport tourism events have a brand image?Author(s): Kyriaki Kaplanidou; Christine Vogt
Source: In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 2-7.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (154.31 KB)
DescriptionSport tourism events are used by destinations to enhance their image. The components of an event's brand image, however, have not been well studied. Keller (1993) suggested that brand image consists of brand associations featuring attributes, benefits, and attitudes toward the "product." Understanding these brand associations will help determine those elements that constitute a sport tourism event's image. This study aimed to measure a sport tourism event's brand image associations from the participants' perspective. The sport tourism event utilized in this research was an annual bicycling event in the state of Michigan. To explore the brand image associations bicyclists have about sport tourism events, two focus groups were used. The results revealed the image of a sport tourism event consists of mental imageries related to organization, environment, physical activity, socialization, fulfillment and emotions. Implications for both event and destination marketers are discussed.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKaplanidou, Kyriaki; Vogt, Christine. 2007. Do sport tourism events have a brand image?. In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 2-7.
- Image of the United States as a travel destination: a case study of United Kingdom college students
- International students' image of rural Pennsylvania as a travel destination
- Perceptions and status of Michigan as a heritage tourism state: results of an eleven-month telephone survey
XML: View XML