Skip to Main Content
Image of the United States as a travel destination: a case study of United Kingdom college studentsAuthor(s): Sung Hee Park; Pavlina Latkova; Sarah Nicholls
Source: In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 8-15.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (125.15 KB)
DescriptionThe youth travel market is a major growth segment of international tourism. The purpose of this study was to explore the travel behaviors and perceptions of United Kingdom college students with regards to the United States as a travel destination. Two objectives were formulated, to determine whether image dimensions differed based on (1) travel behavior, and (2) socio-demographic characteristics. Results suggest that the UK students studied were mostly concerned with a destination's provision of outdoor recreation, infrastructure, events/attractions, safety/environment, transportation, and value/cost. Additionally, level of agreement with the six image dimensions differed signifi cantly depending on past travel experience, number of previous trips, purpose of and sources of travel information for the most recent trip, and age. Visitors identified a more positive image of the U.S. than nonvisitors, signifying visitation's positive impact on image. Such findings have important implications for the more effective marketing of destinations to the growing youth segment.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPark, Sung Hee; Latkova, Pavlina; Nicholls, Sarah. 2007. Image of the United States as a travel destination: a case study of United Kingdom college students. In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 8-15.
- International students' image of rural Pennsylvania as a travel destination
- Segmenting Michigan tourists based on distance traveled
- Wildfires and tourist behaviors in Florida
XML: View XML