Skip to Main Content
Demographic characteristics and motivations of Michigan agritouristsAuthor(s): Deborah Che; Ann Veeck; Gregory Veeck
Source: In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 98-103.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (175.5 KB)
DescriptionMichigan agricultural producers, faced with declining commodity prices, rising production costs, and increased global competition, have looked at agritourism as a way to save the farm as well as provide customers with personalized service; high-quality, fresh food; and farm, nature, and family experiences. While previous research on agritourism indicates that it taps into consumption-related trends in American society, this research assesses who patronizes Michigan agritourism operations and what brings them on-site. This paper reports our survey fi ndings on such visitor demographic characteristics and consumption decisions. Survey results indicated the family and broader market appeal of agritourism among households with annual incomes exceeding $30,000, the importance of local and return visitors, and the draw of purchasing/picking fresh, local produce. This paper also suggests ways to attract new, regional visitors and underrepresented age groups and to raise awareness about Michigan's agritourism destinations as sources of fresh, Michigan agricultural products.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChe, Deborah; Veeck, Ann; Veeck, Gregory. 2007. Demographic characteristics and motivations of Michigan agritourists. In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 98-103.
- A visitation-based profile of agritourism farms in Missouri
- Human ecological sources of fishing heritage and its use in and impact on coastal tourism
- Agrileisure: Exploring the "fun" of local food
XML: View XML