Skip to Main Content
Outdoor education in the Mid-Atlantic states: an assessment of market segmentationAuthor(s): Stephanie L. Young; Megan L. Hash; Roy Ramthun
Source: In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 165-169.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (160.43 KB)
DescriptionPrograms that emphasize experiential learning in outdoor settings have a long history in the United States and have been offered by a wide range of organizations. This study focused on programming that included environmental education, experiential education, and outdoor education. The purpose of this study was to examine the range of services and programs that offer outdoor education and environmental education services in the Mid-Atlantic region and to identify underserved aspects of the market. Environmental education programs geared for elementary and middle school students are very common across the region, but programming for high school and college students and adults are offered much less frequently. The primary finding was the high degree of variability in environmental education facilities, programs offered, and associated costs.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationYoung, Stephanie L.; Hash, Megan L.; Ramthun, Roy. 2007. Outdoor education in the Mid-Atlantic states: an assessment of market segmentation. In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 165-169.
- Anticipated educational outcomes: a case study of the outdoor recreation consortium experience
- Linking Shorebird Conservation and Education Along Flyways: An Overview of the Shorebird Sister Schools Program
- The perceived impact of a university outdoor education program on students' environmental behaviors
XML: View XML