Skip to Main Content
Indiana's forest resources in 2003.Author(s): Christopher Woodall; Gary Brand; John Vissage; Joey Gallion
Source: Resour. Bull. NC-238. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 33 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: North Central Research Station
Download Publication (2.27 MB)
DescriptionThis publication presents the initial results of the fifth inventory of Indiana's forest resources, marking the first complete cycle of the new annual inventory system. Since 1998, total forest land area has increased by a little over 50,000 acres. As in every inventory since 1950, the oak/hickory type is the largest forest type on the landscape, making up over 59.3 percent of all forested land. Softwoods make up approximately 2.8 percent of Indiana's forested acreage. The net volume of growing stock on timberland totaled 7.5 billion cubic feet in 2003, triple the 2.5 billion cubic feet estimated during the 1950 inventory. A complete report of the final results of the fifth inventory of Indiana's forest resources will be published later as a companion to this report.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWoodall, Christopher; Brand, Gary; Vissage, John; Gallion, Joey. 2004. Indiana''s forest resources in 2003. Resour. Bull. NC-238. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 33 p.
KeywordsAnnual inventory, forest area, forest type, volume, biomass, Indiana.
- Kansas' Forests 2010
- Missouri's forest resources in 2001.
- The Forests of Southern New England, 2007: A report on the forest resources of Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island
XML: View XML