Skip to Main Content
Men's wilderness experience and spirituality: a qualitative studyAuthor(s): Paul Heintzman
Source: In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 216-225.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (80.46 KB)
DescriptionPrevious research on wilderness experience and spirituality focuses on participants in women-only or mixed male and female groups. This qualitative research study investigated the spiritual impact of participation in a men-only canoe journey into a remote wilderness area. In-depth interviews were conducted with six participants after the trip. Interpretive analysis was used to identify themes in the interview data. The results indicated that the short-term impact of participation in the wilderness trip was a sense of peacefulness while the long-term impact was characterized by recollection. The wilderness setting, along with the diverse social settings during the trip, was viewed as important to spiritual well-being. Most of the participants did not identify the scheduled spiritual activities as having a large impact upon their spiritual well-being. A few, but not all, of the participants viewed participation in a men-only group as important to their spiritual well-being.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHeintzman, Paul. 2007. Men''s wilderness experience and spirituality: a qualitative study. In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 216-225.
- Men's wilderness experience and spirituality: further explorations
- A qualitative exploration of the wilderness experience as a source of spiritual inspiration
- Immediate conscious experience in wilderness: A phenomenological investigation
XML: View XML