Skip to Main Content
Tourism and recreation system planning in Alberta provincial parksAuthor(s): Paul F.J. Eagles; Angela M. Gilmore; Luis X. Huang; Denise A. Keltie; Kimberley Rae; Hong Sun; Amy K. Thede; Meagan L. Wilson; Jennifer A. Woronuk; Ge Yujin
Source: In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 258-268.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (83.72 KB)
DescriptionTraditionally, system planning in parks and protected areas concentrated on biogeographical concepts, while neglecting tourism and recreation. The existing system plan for parks and protected areas in Alberta, Canada, divides the province into six natural regions based on a geographic classifi cation system (Grassland, Parkland, Foothills, Rocky Mountains, Boreal Forest, and Canadian Shield). This plan also identifies four program goals: preservation, heritage appreciation, outdoor recreation, and heritage tourism. Currently, the goal of preservation is met through the selection and creation of a protected area system covering 27,500 km2 within 519 sites and 8 classes of protected area. However, the goals of heritage appreciation, outdoor recreation, and heritage tourism have yet to be addressed to the same level of depth either in policy or in practice, leaving a major policy gap. The objective of this research is to fill this policy gap through the development of the tourism and recreation components of the system plan for Alberta Parks and Protected Areas.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEagles, Paul F.J.; Gilmore, Angela M.; Huang, Luis X.; Keltie, Denise A.; Rae, Kimberley; Sun, Hong; Thede, Amy K.; Wilson, Meagan L.; Woronuk, Jennifer A.; Yujin, Ge. 2007. Tourism and recreation system planning in Alberta provincial parks. In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 258-268.
- Proceedings of the 1997 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium
- Community involvement in planning and management for outdoor recreation in New Zealand protected areas
- Proceedings of the 2009 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium
XML: View XML