Skip to Main Content
Swamp tours in Louisiana post Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane RitaAuthor(s): Dawn J. Schaffer; Craig A. Miller
Source: In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 269-277.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (186.54 KB)
DescriptionHurricanes Katrina and Rita made landfall in southern Louisiana during August and September 2005. Prior to these storms, swamp tours were a growing sector of nature-based tourism that entertained visitors while teaching about local flora, fauna, and culture. This study determined post-hurricane operating status of tours, damage sustained, and repairs made. Differences between tours that remained open after the hurricanes and those that closed were examined. A three-phase mail survey was used to collect data, with a response rate of 74%. The most common damages reported were loss of telephone service and damage to the swamp. Fewer tourists were also a problem for swamp tours. More swamp tours operating for 15 years or more remained open after the storms than those operating for less than 15 years. This study also found that a new tour, the New Orleans disaster tour, is being offered by four swamp tour businesses.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchaffer, Dawn J.; Miller, Craig A. 2007. Swamp tours in Louisiana post Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita. In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 269-277.
- Hurricane impacts on US forest carbon sequestration
- Intensive longleaf pine management for hurricane recovery: fourth-year results
- Land use history, hurricane disturbance, and the fate of introduced species in a subtropical wet forest in Puerto Rico.
XML: View XML