Skip to Main Content
Participatory modeling of recreation and tourismAuthor(s): Lisa C. Chase; Roelof M.J. Boumans; Stephanie Morse
Source: In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 377-381.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (148.55 KB)
DescriptionCommunities involved in recreation and tourism planning need to understand the broad range of benefits and challenges--economic, social, and ecological--in order to make informed decisions. Participatory computer modeling is a methodology that involves a community in the process of collectively building a model about a particular situation that affects participants' lives. This research attempts to combine the diverse perspectives gained through stakeholder involvement with the analytical tools of dynamic modeling to help communities make better-informed decisions regarding recreation and tourism development. A comparison of the developed models and an evaluation of the participatory process will yield a unified general model and inform the direction of future research.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChase, Lisa C.; Boumans, Roelof M.J.; Morse, Stephanie. 2007. Participatory modeling of recreation and tourism. In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 377-381.
- Meaningful community involvement in protected area issues: a dialogue session
- Broadening participation in biological monitoring: handbook for scientists and managers.
- The interplay of governance, power and citizen participation in community tourism planning
XML: View XML