Skip to Main Content
School to community: service learning in hospitaliy and tourismAuthor(s): Kimberly Monk; Jessica Bourdeau; Michele Capra
Source: In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 523-531.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (157.16 KB)
DescriptionIn the effort to augment hospitality and tourism education beyond classroom instruction and internships, the added instructional methodology of community service learning is suggested. Service learning is an instructional method where students learn and develop through active participation in organized experiences that meet actual needs, increasing their sense of social responsibility and citizenship. For the purposes of this paper, 60 hospitality and tourism students completed service learning activities in a variety of communities that were connected either to a course assignment or as an expectation of a student organization and excluded internships. Participants were able to address issues relative to value, satisfaction, and competencies obtained. This experience has proven to be successful in that it was unique and flexible and offered a variety of opportunities for students to learn from the community. Findings indicated the majority of the participants were mostly satisfied with their experiences and their preparation for future employability and civic duties.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMonk, Kimberly; Bourdeau, Jessica; Capra, Michele. 2007. School to community: service learning in hospitaliy and tourism. In: Burns, R.; Robinson, K., comps. Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 2006 April 9-11; Bolton Landing, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-14. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 523-531.
- Long-term outcomes of an urban farming internship program
- What are undergraduates doing at biological field stations and marine laboratories?
- Tourism in rural Alaska
XML: View XML