Skip to Main Content
Short term evaluation of harvesting systems for ecosystem managementAuthor(s): Michael D. Erickson; Penn Peters; Curt Hassler
Source: In: Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Fosbroke, Sandra L. C., ed. Proceedings, 10th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 1995 March 5-8; Morgantown, WV.: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-197. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. p.541
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (102.96 KB)
DescriptionContinuous time/motion studies have traditionally been the basis for productivity estimates of timber harvesting systems. The detailed data from such studies permits the researcher or analyst to develop mathematical relationships based on stand, system, and stem attributes for describing machine cycle times. The resulting equation(s) allow the analyst to estimate productivity and thereby cost, over a range of conditions, as set forth in the mathematical model. The traditional weakness in this process has been the time it takes to collect, synthesize, analyze, and implement the results of the study. For field applications, the turnaround time is such that the original problem or concern often goes unsatisfied or is dealt with by some other means well before the analysis can offer a solution.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationErickson, Michael D.; Peters, Penn; Hassler, Curt. 1995. Short term evaluation of harvesting systems for ecosystem management. In: Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Fosbroke, Sandra L. C., ed. Proceedings, 10th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 1995 March 5-8; Morgantown, WV.: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-197. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. p.541
- Improving FIA trend analysis through model-based estimation using landsat disturbance maps and the forest vegetation simulator
- Uncertainty in eddy covariance flux estimates resulting from spectral attenuation [Chapter 4]
- A national analytical quality assurance program: Developing guidelines and analytical tools for the forest inventory and analysis program
XML: View XML