Skip to Main Content
Eastern white pine secondary manufacturers: consumption, markets, and marketingAuthor(s): Delton Alderman; Robert Smith; Scott Bowe
Source: Forest Products Journal. 57(10): 28-35.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (122.95 KB)
DescriptionIn the United States, eastern white pine (EWP) is used in the manufacture of interior planks, clapboards, furniture, doors and windows, decorative veneers, and moulding/millwork. Additional value-added markets for EWP raw material include toys, woodenware, novelties, signs, caskets, and products used in building construction (EWP furring was formerly a leading construction wood), shade and map rollers, and Venetian blinds. Our research question focused on regional differences in EWP manufacture and consumption as well as EWP quality attributes, substitutes, markets and competition, and management. To assess EWP secondary manufacturing, a mail survey was conducted in the New England, Mid-Atlantic, and Lake States regions of the United States. The majority of respondents reported annual sales of less than $1 million, employed fewer than 25 people, operated a single facility, and procured EWP primarily from within their region. The effect of imported species was surprisingly less than anticipated, with more than half of the respondents reporting that imports did not have an effect on their business. Superior lumber quality and region-of-origin were reported by secondary manufacturers as having the greatest influence on purchasing decisions. Having a good reputation, consistent pricing, and on-time delivery were the business services most highly valued by secondary EWP manufacturers.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAlderman, Delton; Smith, Robert; Bowe, Scott. 2007. Eastern white pine secondary manufacturers: consumption, markets, and marketing. Forest Products Journal. 57(10): 28-35.
- Eastern white pine: production, markets, and marketing of primary manufacturers
- Entrepreneurial orientation of eastern white pine primary producers and secondary manufacturers: A regional phenomenon?
- Structure and productivity of an eastern white pine plantation on two mid-Cumberland Plateau landtypes at ages 33 and 44
XML: View XML