Skip to Main Content
Eastern white pine: production, markets, and marketing of primary manufacturersAuthor(s): Delton Alderman; Paul Duvall; Robert Smith; Scott Bowe
Source: Forest Products Journal. 57(10): 19-27.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (150.06 KB)
DescriptionEastern white pine (EWP) production and manufacturing have been a staple of the forest products industry since the arrival of the first settlers in the United States. Current EWP market segments range from cabinets to flooring to log cabins to moulding to toys. Today's EWP producers and manufacturers are faced with unprecedented challenges from substitute products, in addition to the loss or near loss of discrete markets. Our research question focused on regional differences in EWP production, quality, manufacture, markets and competition, and management. To assess EWP manufacture and production, a mail survey of EWP primary manufacturers was conducted in three regions of the eastern United States: New England (NE), Mid-Atlantic (MA), and Lake States (LS). Our findings indicate that the primary market for NE EWP is retail, while the log home and timber frame segment is the primary market for the LS and MA regions. Seventy-three percent of responding mills, in all regions, have less than $5 mm in total annual sales; 48 percent reported $1 mm or less. Across all regions the typical mill reported 25 employees or less, operates a single facility, and interregional trade is minimal. The effect of imported species was surprisingly less than anticipated, with more than one-half of the respondents reporting that imports did not have an effect on their operation(s). However, in NE, the leading region for EWP production, nearly half of the respondents reported imports as being deleterious to their business. The NE region is clearly the leader in production, markets, and management strategies.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAlderman, Delton; Duvall, Paul; Smith, Robert; Bowe, Scott. 2007. Eastern white pine: production, markets, and marketing of primary manufacturers. Forest Products Journal. 57(10): 19-27.
- Eastern white pine secondary manufacturers: consumption, markets, and marketing
- Entrepreneurial orientation of eastern white pine primary producers and secondary manufacturers: A regional phenomenon?
- Structure and productivity of an eastern white pine plantation on two mid-Cumberland Plateau landtypes at ages 33 and 44
XML: View XML