Skip to Main Content
National Forest Health Monitoring Program Maryland and Massachusetts Street Tree Monitoring Pilot ProjectsAuthor(s): Buckelew Cumming Anne; Daniel Twardus; William Smith
Source: United States, Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Area, State and Private Forestry, Newtown Square, PA, NA-FR-01-06
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (2.71 MB)
DescriptionUrban forests have many components: park trees, small woodlands, riparian buffers, street trees, and others. While some communities conduct city-wide inventories of street tree populations, there has been no comprehensive, statewide sampling to characterize the structure, health, and function of street tree populations. A statewide Street Tree Monitoring pilot study was initiated by the USDA Forest Service, National Forest Health Monitoring Program to help fill data gaps in what is presently known (or unknown) about this segment of urban forests. The objective of the pilot was to demonstrate the feasibility and utility of statewide street tree assessment and monitoring. Results presented within this report document baseline street tree conditions in two comparative studies in Maryland and Massachusetts. Refinement of the methods used in these pilot studies will result in a statewide data collection protocol that can be used to assess and monitor street trees and detect changes in their condition, status, and health.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAnne , Buckelew Cumming; Twardus, Daniel; Smith, William 2006. National Forest Health Monitoring Program Maryland and Massachusetts Street Tree Monitoring Pilot Projects. United States, Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Area, State and Private Forestry, Newtown Square, PA, NA-FR-01-06
KeywordsNA-FR-01-06, Massachusetts trees, Maryland trees, forest health monitoring pilot projects, urban forests Massachusetts, urban forests, Maryland, riparian buggers, communities tree, tree invetory, tree population, woodlands, monitorning trees, monitoring pilot projects
- National Forest Health Monitoring Program Wisconsin Street Tree Assessment 2002-2003, NA-FR-02-08
- Urban Forest Health Monitoring in the United States
- National Forest Health Monitoring Program, Monitoring Urban Forests in Indiana: Pilot Study 2002, Part 1: Analysis of Field Methods and Data Collection
XML: View XML