Skip to Main Content
Estimating riparian area extent and land use in the Midwest.Author(s): Brian J. Palik; Swee May Tang; Quinn. Chavez
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-248. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 28 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
Download Publication (1 MB)
DescriptionThis report quantifies the amount and land use/land cover of riparian area in the seven-State Midwest Region of the continental United States. We estimate that riparian areas cover 8.9 to 13.2 million hectares in the region and that approximately 72 percent of riparian areas support natural or semi-natural land cover.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPalik, Brian J.; Tang, Swee May; Chavez , Quinn. 2004. Estimating riparian area extent and land use in the Midwest. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-248. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 28 p.
KeywordsRiparian area, Midwest, riparian buffers, land use, land cover.
- Fire ecology and management in lowland riparian ecosystems of the southwestern United States and northern Mexico
- Fire and riparian ecosystems in landscapes of the western USA
- Housing development erodes avian community structure in U.S. protected areas
XML: View XML