Skip to Main Content
Pennsylvania's Forest 2004Author(s): William H. McWilliams; Seth P. Cassell; Carol L. Alerich; Brett J. Butler; Michael L. Hoppus; Stephen B. Horsley; Andrew J. Lister; Tonya W. Lister; Randall S. Morin; Charles H. Perry; James A. Westfall; Eric H. Wharton; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-20. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 86 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (7.32 MB)
DescriptionPennsylvania's forest-land base is stable, covering 16.6 million acres or 58 percent of the land area. Sawtimber volume totals 88.9 billion board feet, an average of about 5,000 board feet per acre. Currently, only half of the forest land that should have advance tree seedling and sapling regeneration is adequately stocked with high-canopy species, and only one-third has adequate regeneration for commercially desirable timber species. Several exotic diseases and insects threaten the health of Pennsylvania's forests. Stressors such as drought, acidic deposition, and ground-level ozone pollution are adversely affecting the State's forests.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcWilliams, William H.; Cassell, Seth P.; Alerich, Carol L.; Butler, Brett J.; Hoppus, Michael L.; Horsley, Stephen B.; Lister, Andrew J.; Lister, Tonya W.; Morin, Randall S.; Perry, Charles H.; Westfall, James A.; Wharton, Eric H.; Woodall, Christopher W. 2007. Pennsylvania''s Forest 2004. Resour. Bull. NRS-20. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 86 p.
Keywordsforest inventory, forest health, sustainability, tree regeneration
- Pennsylvania's Forests, 2009
- Pennsylvania forests 2014
- Indicators of regenerative capacity for eastern hardwood forests
XML: View XML