Skip to Main Content
Trends in recreational vehicle traffic in northeastern MinnesotaAuthor(s): Arthur Norton; Karen Noyce; Thomas J. Wood
Source: In: LaPage, Wilbur F., ed. Proceedings 1980 National Outdoor Recreation Trends Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-57. Vols. I and II. Broomall, PA: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experimental Station: 171-176.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (861.59 KB)
DescriptionMany northeastern Minnesota communities depend upon outdoor recreation activities and tourism for a substantial portion of their yearly cash inflow. While the recreation and tourism industry in the region has grown steady in recent years, it may prove to be less stable in the future than other industries, for at least two basic reasons: (1) while sociologists and recreation planners may dispute the assertion, outdoor recreation is considered by many a luxury or a nonessential activity and therefore subject to alteration of activity participation due to changing economic status of families and individuals. (2) the recreation and tourism industry is dependent to a large part on a highly mobile population. Because of these two characteristics, recreation and tourism patterns can be subject to rapidly changing trends as a result of inflation, increasing energy costs and gasoline availability.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNorton, Arthur; Noyce, Karen; Wood, Thomas J. 1980. Trends in recreational vehicle traffic in northeastern Minnesota. In: LaPage, Wilbur F., ed. Proceedings 1980 National Outdoor Recreation Trends Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-57. Vols. I and II. Broomall, PA: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experimental Station: 171-176.
- Proceedings of the 1995 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 1995 April 9-11; Saratoga Springs, NY
- The mediating effects of values on the relationship between outdoor recreation participation and pro-environment behavior
- Changing values and the impact on land use and social networks in the northern forest region: a qualitative examination
XML: View XML