Skip to Main Content
Results 18 years after planting loblolly pines at different spacingsAuthor(s): S. Little; H. A. Somes
Source: Forest Research Note NE-80. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 1-3
Publication Series: Forest Research Note
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (145.29 KB)
DescriptionIn 1939 a test of four spacings in planting loblolly pine seedlings was begun in an abandoned field on Maryland's Eastern Shore. The spacings were 4, 5.7, 8, and 11.3 feet between trees; each spacing was replicated on four 100-footsquare plots. In the 4- and 8-foot spacings, rows and trees within rows were 4 or 8 feet apart, with trees opposite in adjoining rows. In the other two spacings, trees in adjoining rows were staggered. .Trees 8 feet apart staggered in rows 4 feet apart gave the 5.7-foot spacing; trees 16 feet apart in rows 8 feet apart gave the 11.3-foot spacing.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLittle, S.; Somes, H. A. 1958. Results 18 years after planting loblolly pines at different spacings. Forest Research Note NE-80. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 1-3
- Saligna eucalyptus growth in a 15-year old spacing study in Hawaii
- Furniture Cuttings Made from Logging Residue: The Three-Sided Cant System
- Volume and crown characteristics of juvenile loblolly pine grown at various ratios of between and within row spacings
XML: View XML