Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Measurement repeatability of a large-scale inventory of forest fuelsAuthor(s): J.A. Westfall; C.W. Woodall
Source: Forest Ecology and Management. 253: 171-176.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (201.78 KB)
DescriptionAn efficient and accurate inventory of forest fuels at large scales is critical for assessment of forest fire hazards across landscapes. The Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program of the USDA Forest Service conducts a national inventory of fuels along with blind remeasurement of a portion of inventory plots to monitor and improve data quality. The goal of this study was to evaluate the measurement repeatability/biases of FIA's national inventory of fuels and suggest opportunities for improving data quality and application of sampling protocols. Results indicated that more than half of the attributes did not attain the desired levels of repeatability and about one-third exhibited a non-zero measurement bias. However, the bias generally had little affect on plot-level estimates. A number of factors that contributed to these results were examined and a holistic approach that considers all aspects of inventory was suggested to improve measurement repeatability.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWestfall, J.A.; Woodall, C.W. 2007. Measurement repeatability of a large-scale inventory of forest fuels. Forest Ecology and Management. 253: 171-176.
Keywordsfuels inventory, data quality, measurement bias, down woody material, forest fire, forest biomass
- Forest Inventory and Analysis National Data Quality Assessment Report for 2000 to 2003
- Understory vegetation data quality assessment for the Interior West Forest and Inventory Analysis program
- FIA national assessment of data quality for forest health indicators
XML: View XML