Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Effects of polyamine biosynthesis inhibitors on S-adenosylmethionine synthetase and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase activities in carrot cell culturesAuthor(s): S.C. Minocha; R. Minocha; A. Komamine
Source: Plant Physiology and Biochemistry. 29: 231-237.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (478.71 KB)
DescriptionChanges in the activites of S-adcnosylmethionine (SAM) synthetase (methionine adenosyltransferase, EC 188.8.131.52.) and SAM decarboxylase (EC 184.108.40.206) were studied in carrot (Daucus carota) cell cultures in response to 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D) and several inhibitors of polyamine biosynthesis. Activity of SAM synthetase increased significantly during the first 5 days of culture under all conditions, maximum activity being observed in thc presence of 2,4-D. DL-α-Difluoromethylarginine (DFMA), I,L-α-difluoroinethylornithine (DFMO) and cyclohexylammonium sulfatc (CHAS) had little effect on the activity of this enzyme. The enzyme activity was lower than the controls in the presence of methylglyoxal bis(guany1hydrazone) (MGBG). The activity of SAM dccarboxylasc, which showed a peak on day 2 in all treatments, was lowered by 2,4-D, DFMA, MGBG and CHAS. The results are consistent with published reports on the effects of these inhibitors on the cellular levels of polyainines.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
CitationMinocha, S.C.; Minocha, R.; Komamine, A. 1991. Effects of polyamine biosynthesis inhibitors on S-adenosylmethionine synthetase and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase activities in carrot cell cultures. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry. 29: 231-237.
KeywordsCyclohexylaminonium sulfate, 2, 4-dichlorophcnoxyacetic acid, difluoromethylarginine, difluoromethylornithine, methylglyoxal bis(guanylhydrazone)
- Regulation of DNA synthesis and cell division by polyamines in Catharanthus roseus suspension cultures
- Assays for the activities of polyamine biosynthetic enzymes using intact tissues
- Polyamine and ethylene biosynthesis in relation to somatic embryogenesis in carrot (Daucus carota L.) cell cultures
XML: View XML