Skip to Main Content
A rapid and reliable procedure for extraction of cellular polyamines and inorganic ions from plant tissuesAuthor(s): Rakesh Minocha; Walter C. Shortle; Stephanie L. Long; Subhash C. Minocha
Source: Journal of Plant Growth Regulation. 13: 187-193.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (537.18 KB)
DescriptionA fast and reliable method for the extraction of cellular polyamines and major inorganic ions (Ca, Mg, Mn, K, and P) from several plant tissues is described. The method involves repeated freezing and thawing of samples instead of homogenization. The efficiency of extraction of both the polyamines and inorganic ions by these two methods was compared for 10 different tissues. In each case, the freeze-thaw procedure resulted in a precise and quantitatively equal, or greater, yield than homogenization. Freeze-thawing not only eliminates the need for various tissue homogenizers (such as polytrons, tissumizers, and mortars and pestles), but it is so simple that a large number of samples can be processed simultaneously. We routinely processed 50-80 samples for quantitation of polyamines and inorganic ions. Freeze-thawing was equally useful for the extraction of polyamines from liver, spleen, and kidney tissues of mice.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMinocha, Rakesh; Shortle, Walter C.; Long, Stephanie L.; Minocha, Subhash C. 1994. A rapid and reliable procedure for extraction of cellular polyamines and inorganic ions from plant tissues. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation. 13: 187-193.
- Polyamines and inorganic ions extracted from woody tissues by freeze-thawing
- Fast, safe, and reliable methods for extraction of major inorganic cations from small quantities of woody plant tissues
- Extraction and estimation of the quantity of calcium oxalate crystals in the foliage of conifer and hardwood trees
XML: View XML