Skip to Main Content
Taxol: a reviewAuthor(s): Walter C. Shortle; Rakesh Minocha
Source: In: Raychaudhuri, S.P.; Maramorosch, K., eds. Biotechnology and plant protection in forestry science. [Place Publication unknown]: Science Publishers: 1-11.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (606.62 KB)
DescriptionCancer is one of the most feared diseases. It involves the rapid and uncontrolled proliferation of "abnormal" cells in the body. The cancerous cell mass disrupts normal functioning of the organ or tissue in which it is found. Current treatments involve surgery, radiotherapy, and chemotherapy often applied in some combination. Naturally occurring chemotherapeutic agents from plants have been sought during the 20th century. The first success was in the late 1930s when it was discovered that colchicine, an alkaloid obtained from autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnale), can disrupt the spindle mechanism during mitosis, thereby blocking cell division (Lewis and Elvin-Lewis, 1977).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShortle, Walter C.; Minocha, Rakesh. 1999. Taxol: a review. In: Raychaudhuri, S.P.; Maramorosch, K., eds. Biotechnology and plant protection in forestry science. [Place Publication unknown]: Science Publishers: 1-11.
- Pseudogymnoascus destructans transcriptome changes during white-nose syndrome infections
- Ultrastructural Effects of Bacillus thuringiensis var. san diego on Midgut Cells of the Cottonwood Leaf Beetle1
- Lewis's Woodpecker: Melanerpes lewis
XML: View XML