Skip to Main Content
Response of northern hardwood forests to nutrient perturbationAuthor(s): Christopher Eagar; Scott Bailey; Amey Bailey
Source: In: Horsley, Stephen B.; Long, Robert P., eds. Sugar maple ecology and health: proceedings of an international symposium; 1998 June 2-4; Warren, PA. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-261. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station: 89.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (134.02 KB)
DescriptionSubstantial amounts of calcium have been depleted from the soils of northern hardwood forests in northern New Engtand over the past 50 years. Portions of this depleted calcium have been incorporated into the biomass of the aggrading forests; however, significant amounts have been leached into drainage waters and lost from the ecosystem.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEagar, Christopher; Bailey, Scott; Bailey, Amey. 1999. Response of northern hardwood forests to nutrient perturbation. In: Horsley, Stephen B.; Long, Robert P., eds. Sugar maple ecology and health: proceedings of an international symposium; 1998 June 2-4; Warren, PA. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-261. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station: 89.
- Effects of CaCl2 and AlCl3 additions on sugar maple fine roots and exchangeable ions in rhizosphere and bulk soils of a northern hardwood forest
- Response of sugar maple to calcium addition to northern hardwood forest
- Effects of Acidic Deposition and Soil Acidification on Sugar Maple Trees in the Adirondack Mountains, New York
XML: View XML