Skip to Main Content
Habitat acquisition strategies for grassland birds in an urbanizing landscapeAuthor(s): Stephanie A. Snyder; James R. Miller; Adam M. Skibbe; Robert G. Haight
Source: Environmental Management. 40: 981-992.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (383.71 KB)
DescriptionHabitat protection for grassland birds is an important component of open space land acquisition in suburban Chicago. We use optimization decision models to develop recommendations for land protection and analyze tradeoffs between alternative goals. One goal is to acquire (and restore if necessary) as much grassland habitat as possible for a given budget. Because a viable habitat for grassland birds consists of a relatively large core area with additional parcels of grassland habitat nearby, the second goal is to minimize total pairwise distance between newly protected parcels and large existing reserves. We also use the concept of an effective grassland habitat area, which considers influences that neighboring land covers have on grassland habitat suitability. We analyze how the parcels selected for protection change as total protected effective area is traded off against total distance.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSnyder, Stephanie A.; Miller, James R.; Skibbe, Adam M.; Haight, Robert G. 2007. Habitat acquisition strategies for grassland birds in an urbanizing landscape. Environmental Management. 40: 981-992.
Keywordsopen space, optimization, reserve design, site selection, urbanization
- Using regional bird density distribution models to evaluate protected area networks and inform conservation planning
- Habitat and landscape effects on abundance of Missouri's grassland birds
- Grassland Bird Conservation Efforts in Missouri and Iowa: How Will We Measure Success?
XML: View XML