Skip to Main Content
Evaluation of Populus and Salix continuously irrigated with landfill leachate I. Genotype-specific elemental phytoremediationAuthor(s): Ronald S., Jr. Zalesny; Edmund O. Bauer
Source: International Journal of Phytoremediation. 9: 281-306.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.17 MB)
DescriptionThere is a need for the identification and selection of specific tree genotypes that can sequester elements from contaminated soils, with elevated rates of uptake. We irrigated Populus (DN17, DN182, DN34, NM2, NM6) and Salix (94003, 94012, S287, S566, SX61) genotypes planted in large soil-filled containers with landfill leachate or municipal water and tested for differences in inorganic element concentrations (P, K, Ca, Mg, S, Zn, B, Mn, Fe, Cu, Al, Na, and Cl) in the leaves, stems, and roots. Trees were irrigated with leachate or water during the final 12 wk of the 18-wk study. Genotype-specific uptake existed. For genera, tissue concentrations exhibited four responses.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZalesny, Ronald S., Jr.; Bauer, Edmund O. 2007. Evaluation of Populus and Salix continuously irrigated with landfill leachate I. Genotype-specific elemental phytoremediation. International Journal of Phytoremediation. 9: 281-306.
Keywordsremediation, uptake, poplar, willow, heavy metals, salts, nutrients
- Selecting and utilizing Populus and Salix for landfill covers: implications for leachate irrigation
- Evaluation of Populus and Salix continuously irrigated with landfill leachate II. Soils and early tree development
- Differential expression of genes encoding phosphate transporters contributes to arsenic accumulation in shrub willow (Salix spp.)
XML: View XML