Skip to Main Content
Selecting and utilizing Populus and Salix for landfill covers: implications for leachate irrigationAuthor(s): Ronald S., Jr. Zalesny; Edmund O. Bauer
Source: International Journal of Phytoremediation. 9: 497-511.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (485.22 KB)
DescriptionThe success of using Populus and Salix for phytoremediation has prompted further use of leachate as a combination of irrigation and fertilization for the trees. A common protocol for such efforts has been to utilize a limited number of readily-available genotypes with decades of deployment in other applications, such as fiber or windbreaks. However, it may be possible to increase phytoremediation success with proper genotypic screening and selection, followed by the field establishment of clones that exhibited favorable potential for cleanup of specific contaminants. There is an overwhelming need for testing and subsequent deployment of diverse Populus and Salix genotypes, given current availability of clonal material and the inherent genetic variation among and within these genera. Therefore, we detail phyto-recurrent selection, a method that consists of revising and combining crop and tree improvement protocols to meet the objective of utilizing superior Populus and Salix clones for remediation applications.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZalesny, Ronald S., Jr.; Bauer, Edmund O. 2007. Selecting and utilizing Populus and Salix for landfill covers: implications for leachate irrigation. International Journal of Phytoremediation. 9: 497-511.
Keywordsphyto-recurrent selection, phytoremediation, poplar, willow, short rotation woody crops
- Evaluation of Populus and Salix continuously irrigated with landfill leachate II. Soils and early tree development
- Evaluation of Populus and Salix Continuously Irrigated with Landfill Leachate I. Genotype-Specific Elemental Phytoremediation
- Clonal variation in survival and growth of hybrid poplar and willow in an in situ trial on soils heavily contaminated with petroleum hydrocarbons
XML: View XML